« Home | On the set of "Melody Set Me Free" » | Frank's Village Voice review of new Studio Museum ... » | www.canwebefrank.com » | RAGS TO RICHES V: THE FINALEHOSTED BY MARCO AND DA... » | Headed to Chicago... » | public apology! » | Is Kanye West serious? » | What's Frank been up to? Back to School Blues! » | This week on Brooklynboyblues: » | 50 Cent vs. Kanye West on the new cover of ROLLING... »

Can We Be Frank?

Can We Be Frank?
Brief, sporadic, unpublishable, and syntactically flawed observations:




Barack Obama will be speaking in the West Village on Thursday at NYU's Washington Square Park. Obama goes on at 5pm, i'll probably be in the crowd snapping pictures. Quite frankly, I can't wait!



Randomness...Can we be Frank? Did any of us really think that 50 Cents actually stood a chance against Miss Kanye? I'm mean, c'mon on now, we should have known better. I will say though, ego and all, I'm still a huge fan of Kanye West. In fact, I'm absolutely fascinated with the ways in which Kanye has been able to unapologetically flaunt his nerdish, queerish/punkish ways. The frequent diva tantrums [exhibit A], the extravagant, feminizing frames and tailored suits; the fashion editor's position at Complex Magazine, the strange relationship with John Legend...I love every dam bit of it. What’s also interesting about Kanye is the way in which he embodies what one of my old mentors, Manthia Diawara, used to call "homeboy cosmopolitanism": a sort of hybrid amalgamation of black “high” and "popular" (low) culture. By situating himself within the Hip Hop genre, Kanye earns "street" credibility, even while subscribing to the logic of black middle class respectability ("the college graduate," etc). His performance persona can be situated within a long genealogy of "elegant" black male stars like Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte, though he's not quite as polished. But again, thats the goal--I think. Go on Kanye, I aint mad at ya! Check out Miles Marshal Lewis’ take on Kanye over at the BronxBiannual blog.


Musical randomness…have you heard Alicia Keys' new single "No One"? Quite frankly, its one of best songs that I've heard in a long time. Once again Keys proves that black popular music can still deliver quality rhythm and blues. It's the kind of song that makes me wish that I was in love! And the remix: WHAT?! Hot!

At first I didn't even recognize Miss Keys' voice on this simple, relatively low-key track. Somehow her velvety, rich guttural vocals seem even more polished and developed than usual. Absolutely Gorgeous! I'll say it again folks: Alicia Keys is going to be around for a long, long time if she continues to make such wonderful black music. Does anyone else notice the song's subtle queer subtext insofar as Keys makes no references to the gender of her love interest? (the lyrics include phrases like "People keep talking, they can say what they like...but no one can get in the way of what I feel for you.") Hmmm. Nice. All together now, "I just want you close, where you staaaaaaay forever...."

Randomness to with a jacket and a hoodie… I am sick of this weather!
Each day I find myself praying for rain, snow, and a fall-time breeze. Can someone please explain to me how and why we’re still experiencing summertime weather in October? Is this officially global-warming exemplified?


Randomness in the form of a screaming queen So my friends tell me that “B. Scott,” the zany, local black gay media personality from Los Angeles has just posted a new message on his video-blog, where he claims that he is the “best” black gay blogger on the scene (“baddest gay of them all”). Chile…You know what, I’m going to be nice. I dont want to hurt any feelings. You all know how I can be when I get “Frank”!

Did any of us really think that 50 Cents stood a chance against Miss Kanye?

But now will Five Dimes hold up his end of the deal and go away for good?

Did anyone else pick up on the throwback, ANTM 'Eva the Diva' B. Scott was giving, awkward back hunching poses and all?
If he channeled babygirl any harder we might have seen an 'internets' transformation.

Get a grip hun ...a firm one.
Boo.

Alicia is hot i have always loved her type of music and i am feeling kanye and i agree on all points. B Scott take a seat i am sure we have other Qualify bloggers better than you.

You know...you do make a valid about about Miss Kanye!

is that B Scott character like fo'serious?

Everytime Obama comes to speak somewhere I can't attend the event or I flat out miss it.

Kanye West album is pretty tight I must admit. Yeah, I don't know what 50 was thinking.

Yeah, Ms. keys is really giving me what I need.

Everyone has a right to their opinion...right.

You can't be serious right? (B.Scott)He is clearly not being serious. And if he thinks he is the best whats the problem? for some reason I wasn't looking for you to even go this route,, a lil disappointed..

This comment has been removed by the author.

I'm so sorry you're disappointed by my humor. But its just that: HUMOR. Just as B. Scott "clearly isnt being serious," CLEARLY neither am I. He put himself out there with his bold claim, then im sure he'll be able to handle the simple puns he's now opened himself up to.

Hopefully he---and you---can understand a playful joke for its comedic value. My grandmother's timeless adage "if you cant take the heat..." is oh-so-appropriate here.

Relax folks. B. Scott has his own blog to express his views, and I have mine.

Great cover up....

Do we really have to call it a "cover up" though rather than an explanation? *Smile*

Sorry folks, I dont need to "cover" anything up. I said what I said, and I meant it!

Shade Anonymous...

Frank wasn't covering anything up. He was just DEFLECTING, that's all.

See ya', Love Muffins!

B. Scott (?)

I like B. Scott. He's cute and his blog is funny, depending on the subject. And he is right..there is room for everyone out there.

50: I PRAY that he goes away. His album was garbage. As for Kanye, his wasn't that much better--just stronger production and a determined willingness to PROMOTE and be the fabulous media whore we know him to be.

But, im not mad. Kanye's "butch queen realness" is great..and he DOES seem to have his pulse on what's hot and trendy and goes with it.

But, his relationship with John is weird..

But, I just automatically assumed that Kanye and 50 were both power bottoms anyways..:)

Oh,, it was your being funny,,, seemed more like you being hateful but hey if you say so then i will go with that... much love to both, enjoy reading what you both have to say,, no shade here...

Frank has his pulse on the social issues that affect us all with a mix of entertainment in it. Frank is trying to change the way we think while B. Scott (who may it be noted I also love) is trying to change the way we dress and sometimes think. B. Scott wants to be an entertainer - while I perceive Frank to be someone a little more focused on using entertainment as away to educate the masses.

Post a Comment