« Home | R.I.P. Dekenric Devin Wiley » | Happy Birthday and R.I.P. » | Dealing with Grief, Death and Dying: A Note. » | Ghosts of Cite Soleil opens today in the Village » | Now Let's Be Frank... » | Shot in the Dark: POCC LOVE BALL 2007 (a few quick... » | (another) 20 year old black gay man murdered in Br... » | POCC Love Ball 2007: Executive Realness with Frank... » | Right after the POCC Ball, head over to this event... » | REMINDER: THIS WEEKEND---THE POCC BALL (JUNE 17, 2... »

A response to Keith Boykin and Jasmyne Cannick


There is an appropriate time for everything. I am very disappointed that Keith Boykin and Jasymine Cannick have decided to launch a personal attack on the President of Flavaworks, just days after the company's Vice President (Devin Wiley) has died. I have said it once, and I'll say it again: these on-high condemations of Phillip Bleicher on the sole basis on his whiteness are misleading. The black heterosexual and homosexual pornography industries are both overwhelminghy run, marketed, and organized by white men. This doesnt make it right---however we need to acknowledge and contextualize Bleicher's relationship to the market he is situated within. Are we launching campaigns against the white executives that control black music and hip hop? If we are going to attack Phillip Bleicher for being white, we need to attack the larger trends of the industry rather than singling out one company in particular.

At this point it seems like black commentators are jumping on the anti-Flavaworks bandwagon without any real familiarity with the larger trends of the black pornography industry. This tendency to want to intrepret a white man owning a black company as an example of "modern slavery" (a phrase that has been thrown around several times in this on-going Flavaworks debate) is perhaps appealing, but its misinformed and rather naive.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. The bottom line is this debate should not be taking place right now. The friends and family of Devin Wiley are in a time of deep mourning (especially his mother) and this is not the time for them to have to deal with a backlash against the company he worked for. These debates could have waited. Period. I am not convinced that yet another discussion over the race of Flavawork's CEO needed to take place right now, less than five days after Devin died suddenly. There was no new information that emerged that made it necessary for us to bring this back up again. I find it quite ironic that we can highlight the race of Phillip Bleicher as a way of suggesting that the black gay community is being "disrespected," yet we can completely disrespect and disregard the life of a black gay man who is no longer with us. It is an absolute outrage that Jasmyne Cannick's blog makes a sarcastic and trivializing reference to Devin "dropping dead." Are you fucking kidding me? HOW DARE YOU. I am more outraged by this comment than ANYTHING else.

When did "going public" mean that you had to throw ethics and sensitivity out of the window? I dont give a dam how anyone feels about Flavaworks, to refer to someone's passing as "dropping dead" is outrageously uncouth.

Would we trivialize the death of Rashawn Brazell or Michael Sandy? Sakia Gunn? Would we refer to these losses as instances of people "dropping dead"? Why then have we decided thats its ok to refer to Devin's death in this manner?

Whats further---regardless of our personal opinions, the fact remains that Devin Wiley did in fact enjoy and willfully chose to work for Flavaworks. Sometimes in our rush to be "activists," we obscure the realities of those on the ground---the very people we purport to "advocate" for. Devin Wiley died on Saturday. His life and death should not be overshadowed by discussions over the race of the man he worked with. Whats next, will these black gay "activists," decide to crash Devin's memorial service with picket signs? As leaders, its important for us not to let our tendencies to want to speak up and be vocal hurt the very people we claim to represent politically.

Like I said---this could have and should have waited.

-Frank Leon Roberts
And no, this is not my return to blogging, I just needed to make public my thoughts concerning this manner.

Frank,
Thank you for expounding on the issue as an opposing view from those that I’ve come across is much needed.

I don’t know Devin Wiley but the blatant lack of regard with which some have treated Devin Wiley’s death, whether by sarcasm, overshadowing, omission, dismissal or the like, is indefensible and wholly innapropriate. How one could purport to call themselves an advocate and use their vehicle for discourse to throw his name in the mix and mar it by noting he ‘dropped dead’.

You’re right; how dare you?
Where the hell is your conscience?

Those fortunate enough to be one the front lines, vocal and visible should take greater care to own their social responsibility and celebrate the life of a Black man gone too early.

thank you for standing up and let both keith and jasyme that it is wrong and it will not be tolierated. Countine to fight the fight. I am proud and amire you alot. I think "we" as activists and bloggers sometimes go over board when it comes to reporting stories sometimes and we need to first look at the whole story disect it and think first before you talk about it. Thanks again Frank.

Frank I'm sorry about your friend and I'm sorry that some people in the greater community are using his death for their soap boxes...Prayers are with you.

Are you a punk ass bitch or a bitch ass punk, Frank?

Bleicher tossed you a few coins so you could cover the balls, and you swallowed his dick whole!

Could you POSSIBLY be a bigger sellout to the Black gay community???

I find it fascinating that all these career apologists for Bliecher who are busy shooting the messenger and crying fake tears about how Keith, Jasmyne and others are disrespecting Dekenric's memory, but seem to be blind, deaf and -- most glaringly dumb -- to the fact that Flavaworks and Phillip Bleicher itself has had so little regard for Dekenric or his loved ones and friends that Flavaworks has BARELY mentioned his passing on any of their sites.

While Bleicher's supporters are showing their undying support for his Willie Lynch style of business practices, Bleicher is in turn showing them how much he and Flavaworks respected Dekenric.

Turning....

At this point i'm really beyond trying to respond with any kind of eloquence.

Lets try it this way: I could not give a FUCK that anyone thinks about my "support" of Phil Bleicher.

Once again I see we have anonymous idiots here making comments without any kind of true familiarity with the situation at hand. First off, I haven’t been paid for working with Flavaworks for months. Secondly, the “pay” was certainly never anything substantial enough to "buy" me or anyone out. Secondly, ACTUALLY, Flavaworks has been at the forefront of Devin's memorial service and the company was very, very important to him.

It's absolutely ridiculous to say that Flavaworks "disrespected" Devin----Devin WAS Flavaworks. Indeed, he actually served as the CEO of the company in conjunction with Phil. Devin believed strongly in the company's vision and was one of its most vocal supporters.

My comments here have absolutely nothing to do with being a career 'apologist' for Flavaworks. It’s so much simpler and so much more personal: Devin was a friend and this shit could have waited. These debates right now are so inappropriate. Period. These activists are showing no respect for people's basic right to CHOOSE what companies they wish to be involved with.

The incident that Keith and Jasmyne are referring to (the image of Bleicher being followed by news cameras) actually took place on June 26th and was posted on NBC's website the day after. Why July 18, 2007 became the day to they decided to sit down and chat about this as if were urgent, “new” news, is beyond me.

No matter what anyone says, it was absolutely unnecessary for this topic to have been brought up in the middle of this time of grief. Plain and simple.

The hypocrisy of Cannick is particularly appalling considering that she worked for Flavaworks long before I did.

But quite frankly, I really couldnt give a FUCK how anyone feels about my motives here. I've been quite clear about how I feel about this situation. I've also been quite clear about the fact that Devin was a friend, and i'm pissed that his death is being trivialized with fleeting references to him "dropping dead" alongside sensationalistic stories seemingly written for no other reason other than it seemed like an easy target for increased blog hits.

Your HOUSE NIGGA ass did get a perdiem to travel to BALLS. STFU an stop lying. You BRAGGED about it on this blog.

Your broke ass didn't send yourself - FLAVORWORKS SENT YOU!!!!

You doing what all House Nigga do! Protect your Massa!

Death is not something to be trivialised and whether Devin is your friend or not, I feel you on this, Roberts.

What happened about not speaking ill of the dead? There is a time and place for everything.

The right time to speak up on exploitaion and victimisation is as soon as you are aware that it is occuring ... people die everyday. I disagree entirely with your premise!

Porn can be fun but there is no excusing how Flavaworks operates. You need to refocus on how operations such as Flavaworks are contributing the the high HIV rate in blacks.

I cannot agree with you here!

Frank Leon Roberts. Bought And Sold!

For a supposed intellectual, you sure lack common sense.

Frank, you are so lame. This isn't about your friend dying. Jasmyne and Keith's posts about your friend is in response to someone abusing his power by buying the sex organs of young men, and ordering them to pleasure one another, so his boy's and maybe a few black men can cum. Sorry, but the larger issue at hand is your friend worked for a vile pornographer that like every business man only gives a damn about the bottom line, not the product (It's bad that these brothas are deduced to products). Sorry about your friend, but like Rosa Parks his death will lead a fight against racism and classism in the gay community.

Okay so I have read all the stories about Frank's friend's death and the Flavaworks controversy and while my opinion may not be considered all that special I gotta say some these responses on here are not kool.

Yes folkz can have a debate about Flavaworks but I have to agree with Frank that no one was talking about this stuff before his friend died. Then after his friend dies all this comes out. If everyone trully had so much righteous indignation this would've been an issue a long time ago, not one that happened to just surface within the last 2 days.

Secondly to all these anonymous folkz who post these sell out comments... U have a right to your opinions true but none of you seem to have any balls. Check it out my name is next to my comment and I can stand by what I say, y'all should be able to do the same.

I guess in short let the dead rest in peace, let Frank grieve in peace, and now since the debate is happening keep personal attacks out of it.

And as for the Flavaworks issue hey maybe they do have deplorable business practices I don' work for them so I don' know but I do know that when it comes to grown adults being sexually exploited as deplorable as that is...Well they kinda make their choices don't they. Everyone just needs to chill...

Are you the same Frank Leon Roberts who a few years ago on this very blog, took other bloggers to task for not speaking out about the 46% HIV infection rate among Black gay men?

Boy what a little hypocrite you turned into. I guess a byline in Bleicher's magazine will do that, huh?

Some of you people are so pathetic.

No one (save a few) seems to think that Jasmyne's comment was vile?

Keith and Jasmyne, and I haven't read Keith's words on this recent issue, but they both have their own motives for the things they do. Jasmyne's words were crude and disrespectful. Can anyone say they weren't?

Can you, anonymous wordsmith with the acid tongue (& no balls), actually stand behind her words?

It's been said that the majority of Americans are stupid lemmings eager to follow the ass in front of them. By the amount of people willing to dismiss a fellow black gay man's death with a cold blurb and instead focus on the color of his boss tells me this is true.

Clearly, our community is ripe for new leadership ... one's who think before they speak and weigh the consequences of their words.

Thanks, Frank. And bless you.

I AM SORRY, BUT I AM WITH JASMINE ON THIS....WHY SHOULD ANYONE WAIT FOR A FAMILY TO GRIEVE (WHICH THEY ARE GONNA DO ANYWAYS) BEFORE CONTINUING THE FIGHT AGAINST THE SPREAD OF H.I.V AMONGST LGBT PEOPLE OF COLOR...FRANK YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF...I KNOW AIN'T NOBODY GONNA SAY IT, BUT WE ALL KNOW ABOUT PNUEMONIA DEATHS IT IS USUALLY A RESULT FROM A.I.D.S...SO LET'S BE REAL HERE PEOPLE..TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE..WE DONT HAVE TIME TO BE PLAYING AROUND WITH THE SPREAD OF H.I.V..AND ALTHOUGH I SEND MY DEEPEST SYMPATHIES TO THE FAMILY ON THIER LOSS..HIS DEATH SHOULD ACTUALLY CAUSE US TO REALLY GET BUSY...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK JASMINE AND KEITH....WHILE MR. ROBERTS IS PLAYING DEVIL'S ADVOCATE AND FLAVAWORK'S MEDIATOR HE SHOULD LOG ON TO THE C.D.C'S WEBSITE AND CHECK OUT THE RECENT STATISTICS ON H.I.V INFECTIONS AMONGST PEOPLE OF ALL RACES WHO WORK IN THE SEX INDUSTRY ESPECIALLY BLACK GAY MEN

JOHN T. JOHNSON
CAN BE REACHED AT:
JJ22762003@YAHOO.COM

P.S. I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPEND IF ROSA PARKS, DR. KING OR HARRIET TUBMAN WOULD HAVE TAKEN AN EXTENDED BREAK TO GRIEVE WHEN TRAGEDY STRUCK THIER LIVES...

THE STRUGGLE DOES'NT STOP...
PEOPLE DO!

This is INSANE of all the possible scenarios for which a legitimate campaign for hiv/aids awareness, and this is the best we can do as a people. Point the finger and find someone else to blame. You wanna know ways this disease is contracted through the Black LGBT community well go to any Black Pride Event and you can personally document the almost inviting way it is spread amongst our people, Jasmyne you were there in LA. The Host hotels double as a all gay sexscapade where liquor and drugs seduce the masses and sex is brought to your door more often than the morning paper.Or what would seem limitless strippers employed BY US to entertain and indulge solely based on their genitalia. (Ive yet to see a stripper fully dressed pull up a stool and quote the Bible) We all know of what i speak from the bookstores in N.Y. to the clubs in modern day Sodom and Gomorrah Atlanta. Where is the outcry there why do we not turn to ourselves with the question of why we allow this, why do we not scold and belittle our own? why must we find someone to blame outside our race as if he carries the syringe and infects the masses himself. Why? because like so many, to blame ourselves would be an admittance of fault to charge the crime of genocide on the ones who are the victims is preposterous? well maybe not, we see and ignore the blood on our hands why? Is it simply easier to play the victim? once again aren't we tired as a people of being the victim? of running through the streets pointing out the strings in which this white puppeteer has us by? I and Every adult is blessed with the gift of choice and that is in regards to everything we do Just as I chose to write this you will choose to ignore or accept it but in the end the choice will be your own. will you choose to educate the people who surround you, who are not affiliated with porn, yet have unprotected sex within our community. The very same people your position of informant was spawned to protect. Or will you simply ignore the self destructive behavior displayed by our black brothers and sisters on a daily basis where there is no camera man present or a WHITE man profiting. Yes I have made porn and to this day My lover and I still record Our moments of passion Am i ashamed NO,I can admit to the fact that i like people watching. I aware of the risk and i protect myself.I will not defend My employer for i feel no need to do so. I will also not defend My Friend and colleague Devin for i feel it is disrespectful to even entertain the notions that have been circulated about his death. I simply pose these questions in closing.Have you been told that it feels better w/o a condom? or I cant cum like that? What is this battle about? who's life are we fighting for? and if it be our own why not start with the enemy in mirror or better yet the enemy we may share a bed with.

I am not shocked that Keith And Jasmyne would go that low, I learned that when Keith lied about giving his speech, but as you see Cleo was chosen to speak and he did, and did well.

new jack swing
grand theft auto 4
Pornstar TGP L: Lisa Marie Gallery. Free Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
Alternative Medicinetwin cities marathon results
booze news
Pornstar An: Anetta Keys, Aneta Smrhova Gallery. Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
Alternative Medicine Information & Shopping Resources
International Pharmacies Directory
Medicine Information & Shopping Resources
Medicine List by Disease/ Treatment/ Therapy
Birth Control Guide
spa treatments
Pornstar B: Bella (ass traffic,sperm swap) from Romania Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
asthma treatment
www.drphil.com
Fioricet,
Pornstar T: Tiana Lynn, Tianna Lynn Gallery. Free Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
Genital Warts
Regional Health - US, Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland, Europe...
What Are Rheumatic Diseases and What Is Arthritis?
Chinese Medicine Treatment
Pornstar TGP G: Gia, (Halle Berry Looking Latina) Gallery. Blonde Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
vickyfast Vicky Fast aka Vicky Fasterova, Verunka
harshada redkar
drphil.com
Pornstar Directory: An: Avena Lee Gallery. Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
Levitra
Zoloft
Pharmacy Link
Pharmacist Blogger
drug abuse
big moe
Pornstar TGP: Jeb: Jessica May, Dagmar Pandora Gallery. Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
Pornstar K: Klaudia (1by-day, Nubiles), Cindy Hope, Klau, Claudia (Xisty, KarupsPC), Cindy H (Givemepink), Hope (Clubsandy). Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
Accutane (Isotretinoin)
Adderall Information Page
Antidepressant Drugs
Cialis Tadalafil
Dapoxetine HCl
Prescription Drugs
Pornstar TGP A: Avy Lee Roth Gallery. Free Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
Premature Ejaculation Resources
Spider Veins - Varicose Veins - Varicouse Veins
Prescription Drugs and over the counter Medications
Pharmacy Guide
Online Pharmacy Resources
Aromatherapy
Pornstar TGP/MGP C: Cleopatra (1 by day, pix and video) Gallery. Porn star Movie Clips, Video Trailer, Photo, Picture, Pics
christopher columbus
irv gotti

hello friend excellent post about A response to Keith Boykin and Jasmyne Cannick, I would like to learn more about this topic!!

You have a very good blog that the main thing a lot of interesting and useful!

Post a Comment